View all of our Destinations and Programmes

Do I need a Working Holiday Visa to work abroad?

View all of our
Work Abroad Programmes

The Working Holiday Visa (WHV) Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa allows you to :

  • Work and travel for a period of 12 months
  • Gain international work experience through casual jobs
  • Finance your travels through the year
  • Carry out jobs, internships or studies abroad

General conditions to apply 


  • You must be aged between 18 and 30 
  • You must have no dependent children
  • Valid Passport (for at least 3 months after the return date)
  • Sufficient resources to cover your expenses during the first 3 months

Where do I apply for a Working Holiday Visa?


Please note that any request for a Working Holiday Visa should be made before you start travelling. It is strongly recommended that you do not plan the rest of your trip until you have received confirmation of your Working Holiday Visa. The easiest and quickest way to apply for a Working Holiday Visa is online at the relevant country’s immigration site.However it is also possible to make a paper application at each country’s Visa Service. For more information, please refer to our WHV pages relating to Australia , New Zealand , Canada and Argentina


Programs that do NOT require a Working Holiday Visa


A tourist visa is valid for a more limited time (usually 3 months) but may be extended depending on which country you decide to work in, generally at a cost. Unlike the WHV, the tourist / visitor visa does not permityou to have a paid job, however volunteering, unpaid internships and placementsare acceptable.


The easiest and fastest way of applying is online, at each government’s immigration website.

PLEASE NOTE: A confirmation of funds available may be requested as well as your return ticket.


Disclaimer: Some articles on Freepackers such as this one are submitted by third parties. While we do check the articles and require the person submitting it to declare that they own the copyrights, it may happen from time to time that an inappropriate article is posted. If you own the copyrights to this article or the images used in it please let us know via so we can review and take appropriate action. Freepackers cannot be held responsible or liable for third party articles and any and all issues should be taken up directly with the person that submitted the article.