View all of our Destinations and Programmes

Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Australia

View all of our
Work Abroad Programmes

Working Holiday Visa AustraliaWork and Travel in Australia


To travel, work and study in Australia for up to 12 months! The benefits of an Australian Working Holiday visa include: 


  • Travel and work for 12 months (paid jobs)
  • Work for maximum 6 consecutive months for the same employer
  • Apply for a 2nd year if you have spent 3 months working in rural areas 
  • Study on a language course (there is the possibility to extend this period with a Student Visa)


Countries that are eligible for the WHV Australia

Subclass 417: Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Subclass 462: Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA.


Conditions to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Australia


  • You must be aged between 18 and 30 with no dependent children
  • You must be in possession of a passport that is valid for at least 3 months after your return date
  • You should have AUD $5,000 to cover your expenses for the initial period
  • You will need to have insurance covering travel/medical/repatriation costs.
  • Cost for 12 months : AUD $420


Apply online on the Australian Immigration site . Once your personal information and payment has been registered, it can take up to 4 weeksto receive your visa (in the form of a single sheet for you to print out and present at the border).


The Working Holiday Visa can only be obtained outside Australia. It is not possible to apply once you are in the country. If you are already in Australia on a Tourist Visa and wish to apply for a WHV, you will need to leave the country and await authorisation before returning.

Valid for a period of 3 months, the Visitor Visais free but can be extended to a Tourist Visa (3, 6 and 12 months) subject to a charge. It is not possible to work in Australia with a tourist visa, although voluntary work is permitted. FREE Online applications: e-Visitorfor all EU nationals OR ETA(Electronic Travel Authority). A confirmation of funds and return ticket may be required.

Disclaimer: Some articles on Freepackers such as this one are submitted by third parties. While we do check the articles and require the person submitting it to declare that they own the copyrights, it may happen from time to time that an inappropriate article is posted. If you own the copyrights to this article or the images used in it please let us know via so we can review and take appropriate action. Freepackers cannot be held responsible or liable for third party articles and any and all issues should be taken up directly with the person that submitted the article.