View all of our Destinations and Programmes

To do list before you start working in Australia

View all of our
Work Abroad Programmes

Preparing for your working holidays in Australia


Australian banks and payments


One of the first things that you should do in Australia is open a bank account. If you are travelling on a Working Holiday Visa, you will have to open an Australian bank account before starting any paid activity, as employers generally refuse to pay cash or transfer money to foreign bank accounts. 


Open a bank account in Australia for FREE and get your Debit Card before you leave!


If you choose to open a bank account with any other bank in Australia, you will be asked to submit various documents that will earn you points. Your new account will be opened once you have accumulated 100 points (passport = 70 points, driving license = 70 points, Medicare card = 30 points). Equally, you may be asked for your Working Holiday Visa, the dates of your trip and a permanent address in Australia (hostels  are not accepted).


Global Roaming SIM and Internet


Those getting started in Australia should know thathostels and hotels in the country are equipped with a broadband Internet connection as well as many computers, available to use 24/7. If you're on a tight budget, you should note that all libraries have an excellent free wifi network,accessible to everyone.



Working Holiday Visa applicants and students are strongly advised to purchase either a global roaming SIM card before departure, as you can save up to 90% on international calls! For short stays, vouchers for international calls are available and can be used from any landline. 

Tax File Number (TFN)


Tax file numbers(TFNs) are issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and used to identify your tax records. Your TFN is unique and valid for life, even if you change jobs, move around Austrailia or change your name. If you leave the country and later come back to Australia on another visa, you still use the same TFN. If you do not apply for a TFN once you start working, your employer will have to take 46.5% of your wages in tax AND your tax return application may take longer to process. Once you get your TFN, you may need to pay 29% tax, most of which will be refunded after the job has ended.

You can apply for your TFN online at the ATO's website at ; however, you need a fixed address to do so.


Australian Tax Refunds


logo-taxback.jpgAs a non-resident, you are not required to pay income tax during the period spent working in Australia on the Working Holiday Visa. Income tax is deducted at source and will be automatically deducted from your gross salary. 


APPLY FOR your tax return in Australia! 

The company's average tax refund Australia is $2500 AUD, and there's a no refund, no fee policy!



Insurance and Health in Australia


Visitors from all other countries are strongly advised to buy travel insurance or a Working Holiday insurance before their departure to cover them for the duration of their stay!  Medical care in Australia can be very expensive and you will definitely not be covered for your medical care once there. 


Both public and private health care in Australia is very good. The medical centres in large cities are open day and night; even urgent dental care can be provided if you call the . Pharmacies offer virtually the same service as in any other country in the world; however, locating them in remote areas can be challenging and it’s best to carry a first aid kit. 


Useful numbers:
Australian Dental Association on (02) 9906 4412
Emergency number in Australia: Help: 000 / Police: 11 444


It is also advisable to ensure that you are up-to-date on vaccinations when you are getting started in Australia, even if no vaccinations are required to enter the country. For additional vaccines, it’s possible to obtain information from pharmacies and your GP before departure. 

Disclaimer: Some articles on Freepackers such as this one are submitted by third parties. While we do check the articles and require the person submitting it to declare that they own the copyrights, it may happen from time to time that an inappropriate article is posted. If you own the copyrights to this article or the images used in it please let us know via so we can review and take appropriate action. Freepackers cannot be held responsible or liable for third party articles and any and all issues should be taken up directly with the person that submitted the article.