View all of our Destinations and Programmes

A Guide To Working Holidays in Western Australia

View all of our
Work Abroad Programmes

Working Holidays AustraliaIf you want to experience the ultimate working holiday in Australia, opt for a working holiday in Western Australia. This Golden Outback region offers you the best of everything – unique natural attractions, friendly locals, rich rural life and simply amazing weather.

Work Scope


The best thing about Western Australia is the amazing scope for work. For example, the Harvest Trail, the annual wool harvesting event needs many extra hands each year. You can also sign up with Willing Workers On Organic Farms (WWOOF) to get your hands on some organic farm work. In Western Australia, you’ll be able to find temporary jobs involving animal care, plant and animal conservation, gardening, permaculture and much more.

First Steps to find a job on an Australian Working Holiday

1. Obtain A Working Holiday Visa
If you’re between 18 to 30 years of age, you can apply for a working holiday visa. Citizens from certain countries are exempt from this service, so do check the Australian immigration site for specifics. Recent friendly changes to the Working Holiday Visa make it possible for you to work continuously at any one job for six months. Previously, this was restricted to 3 months.

2. Submit TFN
After obtaining your working holiday visa, apply for an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) at Alternatively, you can call 13 28 61 between 8 A.M. to 6 P.M. Monday to Friday.

3. Submit Employment Declaration Form
When you land a job, whether it’s farm work or volunteer work, you’ll have to sign an You’ll have to sign this form each time you change employers as well. Your employer is legally obliged to hand over this form to you. Your employer also has to submit the completed form within 28 days to the taxman (ATO).

4. Declare Resident Or Non-Resident Status
If you’re in Australia to work and earn money, you’ll be taxed as per Resident Tax Laws. If you’re in Australia to sight-see for the most part and work only for a few months, then you’ll be filed under Non-resident. This status distinction is very important as non-residents are charged a higher tax. Also, only residents are eligible for a tax-free threshold of $6000, along with several other concessions. There’s also the possibility of claiming your taxes when you leave Australia, though not all of it. Please read the latest information on taxation on the Australian ATO website.

Extend Your Stay
If you do some seasonal work in WA for at least 3 months, such as the Harvest Trail wool harvesting or farm harvesting, you can apply for a working holiday visa extension. This means you can effectively extend your stay by an additional 12 months, giving you 2 years of working holidays in Australia. Browse for the latest seasonal work on the Western Australian Government's Go West Now website.

Maintain Records
It’s extremely important to keep all documents on file. For example, store all your payslips, copies of signed declaration forms, superannuation documents, and work-related expenditure (these may be tax deductible). We also advise you to maintain a clear record of the names of your employers, dates of your work with them (start and end dates), their business name and contact information. Provide each employer with an up to date address where they can send your annual tax summaries.


Jesse Davis provides freelance writing and content-creation services on travel-related topics to . He himself is a keen adventure traveler.


More informations about jobs in Australia here

Find out how to apply for an Australian Working Holiday Visa here

Disclaimer: Some articles on Freepackers such as this one are submitted by third parties. While we do check the articles and require the person submitting it to declare that they own the copyrights, it may happen from time to time that an inappropriate article is posted. If you own the copyrights to this article or the images used in it please let us know via so we can review and take appropriate action. Freepackers cannot be held responsible or liable for third party articles and any and all issues should be taken up directly with the person that submitted the article.